Children & Youth
Sunday School for ages 3 through 8th grade is held each Sunday at 9:40 a.m. during the school year. 3-year-olds through 5th grade learn Bible stories through a rotation model of Sunday School. That means they work with the same Bible story for two weeks in a row and have a lot of hands-on fun and learning through workshops like cooking, Bible games and skills, and drama.
Middle schoolers (grades 6-8) gather together each Sunday morning at 9:40 in the youth room for faith conversation with a trusted adult leader.
Zion supports our Lutherans Outdoors Bible camps as an important milestone in the faith lives of our kids. In summer 2019, a group of elementary-age youth will attend camp together at NeSoDak Bible Camp.
Milestone Ministry recognizes faith milestones in the life of Zion Lutheran children and youth. These milestones always include faith events for parents + kids and special recognition during worship. Milestones include:
- Baptism and Recognition of Baptism
- 3-year-olds receive story Bibles to begin to learn and love God’s Word.
- 4-year-olds receive prayer pillows to help them learn to pray.
- 3rd-Graders receive a Bible
- 5th-Graders learn about the Sacrament of Holy Communion.
- 6th-Graders learn about what it means to be made in the image of God.
- 10th-Graders are confirmed in April and receive prayer shawls at Confirmation.
- 12th-Graders are recognized on their high school graduation.
Middle School & High School
Middle School and High School have regular fellowship and service events throughout the year. Bible Camp, retreats, servant trips, and youth gatherings are also a part of youth programming. Zion Lutheran youth can register for camp as part of a group or attend individually.
In summer 2019, our middle school youth headed to Sioux Falls, SD, for a half-week servant trip, where they served alongside Church on the Street, a ministry to the unhoused community in Sioux Falls.
Every 3 years the ELCA holds a youth gathering for youth from across the United States. Zion Lutheran youth have attended the Youth Gathering for many years. Various fundraisers are held to cover the costs of attending. The next gathering will be in Minneapolis in 2021, and we are already making plans to be there!
Confirmation at Zion takes place through the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grades.
- 7th and 8th graders+ a parent study a portion of Luther’s Small Catechism on Wednesday during the fall. Over these two years, they’ll study the 10 Commandments one year and the Apostles’ Creed and Lord’s Prayer the second year. In 2019, this group will meet for 11 weeks, starting on September 18 from 6:30-7:45 PM. In the spring, the Confirmation students will work on an independent faith project connecting what they learned about the 10 Commandments in the fall.
- 9th graders study the Sacraments and Confession for 6 weeks in early winter. The dates for Winter 2020 will be posted here soon.
- 10th graders complete a year of service projects, conversations with a faith mentor, and an independent faith capstone project. This is a creative, visual display that ties together what they have learned over their Confirmation years. These projects will be displayed starting in late April 2020, and Confirmation Sunday will be May 3, 2020.